Friday, April 9, 2010

Share Friday, RAW vs JPEG

Today is going to be short and sweet! I am not really all that techy so I will give it to you why I do what I do. First Jpeg is a compressed image file that that saves information and squishes it together to make a smaller file. RAW is a file that is (just like it name) straight from the cameras sensor with little or nothing processed, raw! If you have a DSLR camera you should have this option to set you file type to RAW or JPEG or both. I always shoot in RAW as I have seen the 2 side by side and color is much more crisp and bright. You will find many people with different opinions about them both but for me I shoot RAW! Here is a break down of Pros and cons

RAW:
Pros you lose hardly nothing, you can change you White Balance in Post Processing, You can make changes to you image in post processing with more area without losing image quality, and last but not least I just LOVE IT! (my two cents)

Cons You have to have a program to read RAW files , also you eventually you have to change them back to jpeg, they take up MUCH room on your computer as it is a large file

JPEG
Pros small files, don't need a special program to read, what most labs use this file to upload to print.

Cons can't do alot to your image without losing quality (ex. change wb, exposure), you loose some of the image when compressed.

There are probably many more that I have not included and most photographers have different views on this subject. But to me it all boils down to what is BEST for YOU!!! And I love RAW!! Hope I have shed alittle light on the subject. If you would more info on the subject just go and google RAW VS. JPEG you will find more info than you know what to do with. TRUST ME, I did this and by the second article my brain had turned to mush... Then go and try both and make your own decision on what works best for you.

Have a Great Weekend! and because every post is better with a photo

_DSC5049 web

3 comments:

momwithfaithandhope said...

Thanks for "Share Friday" - I have still to convert to RAW for fear I'll have no room to store anything!!! If you get a chance, will you post a RAW and JPEG side by side???? Love the photo. The bokeh is perfect, colors so vibrant! Guess because you shoot in RAW, huh?

Ally said...

Thanks! I have a WD passport and it saves me! After I am finished editing then I drop them in the external drive. When I get a moment I will add to this post the difference! Thanks!

trustandobey said...

Hi,
Arrived here from Karin's blog. Karin is a friend of mine and together we are trying to learn ins and outs of photography. She turned me on to I Heart Faces and I actually won once. That was months and months ago but I am totally hooked on photography. I also have an Asian daughter , one from Guatemala and 2 bio girls. Love your photos! Your kids are beautiful! Had fun stopping by.
Lisa