Friday, February 12, 2010

Share Friday! Getting Off Auto



Getting Off Auto!
So you got a fancy camera for Christmas or Birthday or even had it a while and you have found you new LOVE! Trust me, I understand what you are feeling, me and my camera have this same relationship! Whether you got a point and shoot or Dslr they all have many features on them and most just put their fancy cameras on Auto and shoot away. The reason I know this is because I also parked my camera on Auto and snapped away. Even though some of my/your pictures come out perfect (when the worlds were lined up just right) most still were not technically right. The lighting, color and blur (not the kind you want) was still there? Puzzled as I was, I knew I had to find out why!

This is where we get into "You have a NICE Camera, IT takes good pictures" attitude. The CAMERA does not, YOU have to know how to use that camera and make it do what it is made to do! Your first step is getting of Auto mode! I know it is scary but we all have been there and I have never looked back, I promise!

There are a few things that you need to know first before we take this step. First and foremost is your new best friend is your Camera's Manual. Go and read it with your camera IN HAND so you can go through all of those buttons and commands. This is the most valuable resource you could have. I know it is boring and you may not know what they all mean but it is time well spent. Now it is time to dig in and learn what our cameras are suppose to do. Over the next couple of Friday I will go over what I have learned and the steps I have taken to get off Auto and now shooting on Manual. First let me say I am NO expert and I am still learning something everyday. I just could remember when I started out I was searching for any thing/one that could help me learn more about my camera.

So go now and read that Manual and next Friday we will be taking the next step to getting YOU off Auto! We will be covering Aperture! My most FAVORITE function on my camera! hint: this is what gives you the Magical Blur in the background/foreground Awhh.... just like this photo


_DSC0189_edited-1

See how the grass looks like Golden flecks of glitter but Mae is focused and crisp! and beautiful of course.

Oh, and if you have any questions just leave a comment and I will try my best to answer them back in the comments. Happy Friday Everyone:)

4 comments:

Jocelyn said...

What an awesome shot! I have that exact camera and have been playing around with all the settings. Apeture is one of my fav. I am looking forward to any tips you share:-)

Kristi said...

So much to learn, so little time. I wish you had started this weekly course a few months ago...
That is a FABULOUS shot of Mae!

Karin said...

What a gorgeous photo! I am so excited that you are going to be teaching how to use camera functions. I have recently been trying to be brave and get off auto...so scary! :) I've had some minimal success and some not so much. The thought of reading the manual is a big fat ARGH, but I know you're right. I need to do it.

Ally said...

I know Karin it totally stinks tackling that thing. But once you start it is one of those things that you go awh... my camera can do that! I am glad you are hanging along with me. Hope you little one is doing good. Such a brave young lady.