Sunday, December 7, 2008

Divine Appointment

Saturday I had a craft show. Well I have not done but one craft show this year and for some crazy reason I decided to participate in this one. So yesterday morning Ben and I got up early and rode off to sell some BOWS!~~ After spending an extra 15 minutes getting lost we finally arrive at our designation. Now before I go any further let me give you the 411 that I know about this show. I was told that it was at a retirement community and it would be heavily advertised to the general public as well. When we pulled up there wasn't a sign in sight about a Craft Fair. (probably 1/2 the reason I couldn't find it) As we begin to unload some of the first things and go inside it was coming to light where we were. This was no retirement community this was a Nursing Home. Now please don't get me wrong I have nothing against nursing homes but I SELL HAIR BOWS!!!!! Hello, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that hair bows and nursing home residents just don't match. Ben looks at me as we are setting up and says "Mom things aren't looking to good!" I replied "I'm thinking, No." So we chuckled a little and got everything set up and ready to go, for who I'm not sure but I decided to just go with this and smile.

The show started at 10 o'clock and we had a few minutes to spare so we sat and began to give our guess on how the day was gonna go. As we sat there God began dealing with my heart. Yep in the midst of the craziness God was talking to me! God was telling me it was not about ME and not what I can get but what I can give. You see it all started to come clear for me. I had not done a single craft show all year (except one that my sister dragged me along and it was a vendor show) long and why I picked this one which I knew nothing about???? Well it wasn't by chance, God had a purpose for Ben and I that day and it didn't involve selling hair bows. I began to share with Ben what God had showed me sitting in that nursing home. He smiled and said that's right mom and we waited patiently to see what God had in store for us this day.

I thought that I should probably give Ben a little heads up what goes on in a home of this sort and I even explained to him that he would be the "hit" of the day because is young. He kind of smiled and his wheels began turning taking in all that I had said. Now this is a 13 year old boy, on a Saturday sitting with his mom to sell hair bows in a nursing home. That is miracle in itself don't you think? Not even 10 minutes had gone by and this sweetest little lady dressed in pink from head to toe was pushing her walker toward our table. I cheerfully said "Good Morning" and she replied "what in the world is going on here?" I tried to explain to her what was going on and she look very concerned. As she was scanning the room to try to figure out who we all were her eyes met Ben and the biggest grin overcame her face.
She looked at him and said in a loud sweet voice " I know who you are."
Ben said "you do???"
"Yes I do"she said "you are a child of the King."
( Well hello God!!! Is this the Divine appointment we had for today. Yep I am thinking so!!)
She began a long conversation with my son that made my heart sing. She was the sweetest little lady I had ever met and she loved my Ben. She went on to tell him that he was chosen by God because of his special heart. She told him to never leave Him because He will never forsake you. As this woman was speaking to my son he had the most wonderful smile on his face and after she was done she reached over to give him a hug. Ben gave her the biggest hug back and told her Merry Christmas. It was the sweetest sight I had ever seen.... This is how our lives are suppose to go. It isn't about Me! I don't know the story on that sweet woman but she touched Ben's life and mine in away that we will never forget. We didn't make a ton of money that day selling hair bows but we got to see the face of God in that sweet little old lady. As we sat a watched the daily life of these men and women it became very clear why God ask us to look after the Orphans and Widows. They have a strong connection to one another and I saw what that was yesterday. Watching as they wandered the hall in their walkers and wheelchairs it was just like the pictures I have seen of the orphanages in China where the little ones were wondering around in their walkers. God has opened our eyes and hearts to what we need to do as believers and he used a Craft Show to do it! Oh how we have work to do on this earth.......

3 comments:

Our Journey said...

Allyson, This story brought tears to my eyes -- what a beautiful act of God...and yes, you're right, it's an amazing thing that a boy his age would even want to be w/ his mom, on a Saturday, in a nursing home, selling "girly" bows.. he's a very special boy!!

Shabby Olde Potting Shed said...

Hi Ally!
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL WAY God revealed Himself to you. Ohmigosh and TO THE CHILD OF THE KING! .....MMMM GOD BLESS THAT SWEET LITTLE WOMAN... GOD BLESS ALLY... AND YOUR SON....
Thankyou for reminding me that...
it's not about "me" this CHRISTmas...
Hallelujah
Lea

Kristi said...

God never ceases to amaze me when He makes good of what seems like my mistake...